Friday, October 30, 2009

October Fun!

Pumpkin Patch
Sophia had her first field trip to Hunter's Farm to pick out a pumpkin with her class. TJ took off work to be a chaperon. It was raining and muddy, but they made the best of it. Gotta love rain boots and coats!
When you ask what kind of pumpkin she got she says, "a lil' one and daddy got a big one!"
Pumpkin Painting/Carving
Sophia's school was having a pumpkin contest and obviously Sophia couldn't carve her own so I had her paint it instead. She painted it black all by herself...I just did "blob" patrol. Then we turned her pumpkin into a...BAT!
Then it was time for daddy's big pumpkin...She helped scooped it out a little, but then kept saying, yucky! TJ did a good job carving and actually got into it (Halloween is not his favorite).
TA-DA!!! Frankenstein and a bat...By the way she one the BEST PUMPKIN AWARD at her school!
My School Fall Festival
Okay so I have to give a little background on her costume...Sophia decided she wanted to be a tiger so she could "ROAR!" at everyone. I knew she wouldn't keep anything on her head or face, so I decided to make the costume quite simple. And yes, I wanted to try to sew it. I've never really read a sewing pattern before so I had my mom help me. I swear those are written in a different language. Well, I made the skirt first. It went fast and it was easy for me. Then I started the shirt. It was a size 4 pattern so I knew it was going to be too big. As I started sewing the neck my mom and I noticed that it was going to be way to big, so my mom helped me cut it down (okay well she did). It was all finished and Sophia had her costume party on Thursday, so that night I just had this little feeling to try the shirt on. WELL...let's just say it didn't fit over her head and she has a small head, hahaha! I called my mom laughing and thought "this is why I don't sew, ha!" I got the good ol' scissors and cut a slit in the back and WA-LA, it fit over her head. I guess this is why people buy their Halloween costumes. Never-the-less, she is still the cutest tiger, I am still proud that I sewed it, and it's a great story to tell.

Sophia was a little timid at first with all the people and costumes, but she warmed up. We bought some tickets, so she played some games. She got to toss bean bags into the ghost. Sophia style was to walk right up close to it and drop it in!
She also helped me during "Trick-or-Treat Lane!" She got the hang of it. She would say "trick or treat" and help herself to the bucket of candy we were suppose to be handing out to the kids, haha!
I signed up to do a game in my room, so I decided to have the kids play pumpkin bowling at the "Pumpkin Alley". Here Sophia is ready to roll her pumpkin down the lane. I think this was her favorite game:)
After our bucket of candy was gone, Sophia was on the hunt for more. She was practicing for tomorrow night with my best teaching buddy.
Perfect photo op! Sophia posed by it, but obviously on this shot she turned a little. Then she was perfectly posed and even saying "CCCHHEEESSSEEE" with a smile when...MY BATTERIES DIED, ahhh! So that was it for pictures.
Other highlights from the festival: cake walk (we won!), ring toss, shooting basketballs, cotton candy (but Sophia doesn't like it), and more.
MORE FUN TOMORROW!

3 comments:

Kim said...

Em! Love this post, you always have so much fun on Halloween! Your sewing story is classic!! LOL!! And Sophia is just the cutest little "ROAR" I have ever seen! I love her hair all curly too!! I can't wait to seee yoouuuuU!!!!! Or at least chat! Miss you!

Shawna said...

Pumpkin Alley looks like fun! :)

Mike Skiff said...

Love Sophias outfit. So stinkin' cute. Looks like she had a blast! Can't wait to see pictures from tonight! Miss ya!