Tuesday, June 25, 2013

First 1/2 Marathon

Discovery 1/2 Marathon (Sequim to Port Angeles)
Running a 1/2 marathon has been on my personal bucket list for a couple years, but it seems like I always talk myself out of it because running is not my favorite thing. My friend, Lacey encouraged me to do it with her this year and so I did. She made sure I wouldn't back out. TJ decided to do it with me, which I'm glad he did because it was a bonding time for us. My goal for my first 1/2 marathon was to #1 finish and #2 to get to a point where I enjoy running. Both those goals were accomplished. I was not worrying about speed because I am a slow runner, but as I raced I felt great, my body felt good, my stomach felt good, my breathing was good, I was above my pace time, everything was great until about mile 9. Mile 9 is where my knee had some trouble. Every time I would go down hill my knee had the sharpest pain (one I never got while training) and it was frustrating because it was really painful going downhill. So where you are suppose to be gaining speed or taking a breather, I was walking and it was VERY frustrating. I was grateful for TJ by my side. I wanted to run, but TJ was the smart thinker reminding me not to get a bigger injury, etc. All in all, I still reached my finish time goal, but I would have blown my goal out of the water if it wasn't for my knee. I am so glad I did it. We will see if another one is in my future....

No comments: