Sunday, July 12, 2009

18 Months Old

Our baby is 18 months old today! I woke up feeling good because today was the day that I was going to be able to listen and focus in church because Sophia was old enough to go to Nursery!!!! Little did I know those feelings would go away quickly and that I would not even make it to class to listen and focus. Sophia walked in the room nicely and was beginning to sit down, but got a little nervous when another little girl was having a hard day and was screaming at the table. This is Sophia's not too sure look:
Feeling a little bit more confident, she sat at the table to have a snack. TJ snuck out first. Sophia was looking comfortable so I made more and more distance from her and then excused myself. 10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1..."Mommy!" TJ and I were standing outside the door when the crying began. The teachers tried to console her, but it wasn't happening. TJ got caught by Sophia peeking in the little window on the door, so he went in with her while they got the toys out.
Once again, Sophia was playing with the cars and other toys, so TJ stepped out of the room. She noticed he was gone and started crying, then crying louder and louder. People in the hall just told us to walk away and that they would come get us if they needed us. "What?" "Walk away when our baby was having such a hard time?" ugghhh! I didn't think it would be so hard for TJ and I to leave her in nursery. We followed the people's advice and walked away. About 5 minutes later one of the teachers brought her to us. She was crying so hard she was doing the head shake and snot was flowin'. We cuddled a little bit until she calmed down and then I asked her if she was ready to go back and play. She said, "No want it!" I tried not to laugh. Sophia and I went back in. She sat on my lap for singing time, but then eventually went back to playing with toys. I moved farther away from her, but didn't leave this time. She would check for me and bring me toys to play with. The teacher ended with a little lesson and a coloring activity. Here is her necklace:
So...Will it get better? Will I ever be able to go to class and listen? We'll see how next week goes...

6 comments:

Tiffani said...

Hate to say it, but Porter has been able (age-wise) to go to Nursery for about 6 weeks now and just won't do it. Derek went in with him two weeks ago and he cried the entire time - with Derek in the room! I think you're doing it right though...staying with her from the beginning and getter her used to it. Let me know how it goes so I can follow your lead!

KariMarie said...

I am afraid that Audrey will do the same thing. But I still have 6 months of interrupted sacrament meetings and classes. I will cross my fingers for you that it will get better! teehee And it WILL!

jakefry said...

Who knows, each kid is different. It took Cooper about 6 months to be totally ok. But we found it was just best to drop him and walk away, he never got to the point where he'd throw up or fling snot though....Good luck :) -Rach

Mama Megs said...

hahaha! I hate to say this too...but Henderson just turned 3 and just started going willingly 3 months ago. It takes time, especially when they don't go to daycare or are dropped off at a new place that often. Which was our problem! But it'll get better. I kinda liked getting out of 2 hour class! She's just so cute and you gotta love the snot nose cry :)

Shawna said...

Her face at the table is so classic! Hahaha! When I worked at a daycare, some kids would cry for literally hours after their parents dropped them off...but after a few days to a week it was ok. And believe it or not, it IS better for the kid if you just say a quick goodbye and promise you'll be back soon, and leave. But that is for all day at daycare...since you have the option of hanging out and missing church I guess that works, too! lol

cindy said...

I'm glad you were able to go back in there after your first attempt. Yes, you'll be able to go sit in class again! She'll get used to it. And I think it's okay to ease her into it by going in there with her. You are sooo good to have taken your camera in there. What a cutie she is!