Tuesday, December 18, 2012

My 30th Surprise!

YES I TURNED 30! It sounds so much older than 29, but I'm ready to rock it!
I have to give you some history for this post. My birthday was on a Sunday so I knew we would just do my family dinner on my actual birthday, but I was hoping to do something over that weekend to celebrate. I told TJ that I wanted to do something fun to bring in 30, but I didn't know what to expect.  So the Friday before my birthday TJ rented out 4 lanes at the bowling alley and we went with some friends and family. Okay this is where I'm going to sound like a TOTAL brat, but it's really how I felt. BOWLING? Really? Bowling is fun, but that is something we do for whatever. It was still Friday, so I thought maybe something on Saturday...NOPE! We did our normal Saturday stuff and went to Chinese for dinner..wahoo (sarcasm entered)! TJ was Mr. Cool through it all and knew I was dying. On Sunday night (my actual birthday) he was just laughing hard because he knew I couldn't say anything because I still had lots of things to be grateful for, but it was playing out perfectly for him. So we started yet another week. I just had to face it...bowling, chinese food, and family dinner was the BIG 30 (but secretly I was still hoping for something else). Oh and to make it even better, TJ didn't even get me a birthday present...say what?! Yah! Well, my hubby knows me well and treats me even better! HE DID SURPRISE ME!!! He surprised me with a get away with just him and I to Portland. We haven't done anything like this since kids. I have never left Kenton over night so I was a little nervous, but I knew we needed it.  And to make it even better we got to ride the train! That was a first for both of us! We left Sunday morning and got back Tuesday night. He even worked it out with my co-worker, secretary, and principal to get me a sub without me even knowing...that was awesome! While in downtown Portland we stayed in a nice hotel with a doorman, super comfy bed, nice pillows, and jetted tub. We also enjoyed the Christmas decorations/lights downtown, walking/taking public train everywhere, shopping (we got all our xmas shopping done), eating late dinner, sleeping in, talking, not being on a schedule, and being us!
We took the Coast Starlight (2 story car) there and a smaller train back. The train is way laid back! No security to get through, way more leg room (even foot stools), plugs to use for electronics, internet, and more. You do have to be laid back though because the train was 1 hour late coming, but we didn't care!
I had to get a picture of the conductors hat. THEY REALLY WEAR THEM!!!!! Aren't they cute?!
Ready to go! Isn't he hot?! I think so!
Had to check out the bathroom..Way better than on an airplane.
This was the observation car where anyone could sit at. Lots of windows to check things out and tables too. There was also a dining car.
This was cool. This is the Tacoma Narrow's bridges. We drove right under it. 
This is when we arrived and had to check downtown out on the map. Tons of shopping!
Love this sign...BE MERRY!

The famous VOODOO donuts...Bacon maple bar anyone?
I got the VooDoo guy. He had jelly in his head, which was a surprise and not a good one for me, haha! Yuck!
This was huge!!!

This couldn't of happened without my parents and Christine who watched our kids for us. It was something that I will always remember!

Unfortunately Monday night I couldn't sleep because I felt like I was swallowing knives. I was trying not to whine about it, but it hurt bad. I took some pain relief medicine and it got me through Tuesday night. Woke up on Wednesday back at home and wanted to die, but still toughed it out through work. I shouldn't have done that because I ended up having strep throat. I have never had that before and don't ever want it again! Look what happens when you turn 30! Strep throat or not...Again...I am determined to ROCK 30!!! LOVE YOU TJ:)! I seriously am lucky!

1 comment: